Saturday, August 24, 2013

Recipe Corner ~ Homemade Tortillas


For the first time last week, I made Shredded Chicken Tostato's. 
I was terrified. I'd never even eaten them, so I had no idea what I was doing! 
Of course though, with my love for food & being in the kitchen I had to go all out. Plus I was cooking for someone 'special' & had to show off my mad skills a little bit. 
To put the cherry on top, I decided I was going to make the tortillas myself, rather than just buying a package & cheating. (However, while I was at the store buying everything, I did buy a package just in case I screwed up making them myself. Haha)

Homemade Tortillas
3 Cups Flour
1/3 Tsp Salt
1/3 Tsp Baking Powder
1/3 Cup Veggie Oil
1 Cup Warm Water

I combined all ingredients in a medium sized bowl & began mixing together with my hands. Once I had a good dough going & most of the flour mixed in, I would rip off 1"-2" balls & used a glass in place of a rolling pin to make flat. I then placed in a warm skillet & would let sit until they had a few light brown spots, then flip. Each one prolly took about 3-4 minutes.

I just could not believe how easy it was. I had spoke to a few of my girlfriends, one of which has cooked homemade meals for a long time, & even she said that she wouldn't attempt making her own tortillas! I was so worried when I started mixing the dough...but everything turned out just fine...

In fact, that someone special made the comment he'd even use them to make his breakfast & was eating them by themselves before the chicken even came out of the oven!!!