I don't know about you, but I am in love with my flat iron. I went & bought me a new one last week & am absolutely in love with it. It's like an extra limb to me! So since I have a new one I started wondering, how do you properly care for a flat iron & hopefully get some more use out of it???
The use of hair products & oil can eventually cause build up on your flat iron. Besides the disgusting look of the buildup, it can also cause uneven heating of the ceramic plates as well as incomplete straightening of our hair. Severe buildup can cause damage to our hair and split ends.
You can regularly clean your flat iron using simply lukewarm water & a SOFT wash cloth. Just follow these steps:
1. Make sure that your flat iron is warm to touch, not hot! Also, unplug it from the wall.
2. Dampen a soft wash cloth with lukewarm water. Do not use very hot or very cold water. Gently rub one plate, then the other, where the grime is. Be careful! Harsh scrubbing on ceramic plates can cause scratching of the plates & will basically ruin the use of your flat iron.
3. Wipe down the plates until there is no more build up on them. Check to make sure you've reached all the way to the bottom and gotten any gunk there too (near the power & settings buttons) You can use a cotton swab if it's too difficult to get your wash cloth down in there.
4. Be sure to wipe off any residue from the sides or edges of the plates as well. Use a fresh surface of the wash cloth as necessary.
5. Let your flat iron dry thoroughly before using it again, or plugging it in for that matter. As we all know, using it while wet can fry our hair. You can gently wipe off the plates with a dry, soft cloth if you are needing it to dry faster.
Be sure to clean your flat iron regularly for best results.